Pages

February 27, 2008

THIS IS COOL


"Could I talk to you for a second?"

I've been watching season 2 of NBC's "Friday Night Lights" and I noticed something that bothered me. Don't get me wrong, I really like this show, so don't accuse me of being a huge dickhead.

You know in movies and TV shows when two people are talking and another character comes in and this happens:

Person 1- So I ate the burger and then drank a shake
Person 2 - That sounds deeeelicious. Now yesterday I made a pie with...

(Enter Person 3, who wants to talk to Person 2, but didn't expect Person 1 to be there)

Person 3 - Oh... hi guys
Person 1 - Hi Dave, how are you?
Person 2 - Hi dear, what's going on?
Person 3 - Excuse me Person 1, could I have a word with Person 2?
Person 1 - Oh, yeah sure. Give me a call later okay?
Person 2 - Okay, see you

(Exit person 1)

Person 2 - So what's up?

This happens about three times each episode. Thinking back, I don't think I've ever been in this situation. I've never been forced out of a conversation by someone who needs to talk to the person I'm talking to already. The word "person" is funny after you've typed it a million times. So did that make sense? I don't get why writers don't just start the scene with the two important people talking. Gee whiz guy.

I also used to be really puzzled as to why in TV and film the actors always drink iced tea with dinner. Look closely and you'll see. But the last couple of times I've been abroad, I realized that Americans drink iced tea like Marty McFly drinks Pepsi. There's pitchers of it everywhere! MYTH BUSTED. So I'd like to appologize to the MPAA for accusing you of over-serving iced tea at dinner.

3 comments:

killahmcgillah said...

I love 'Friday Night Lights' to death, but I also wonder about this: Why is it that characters are always just like, "stopping by" each other's houses at 6pm/10pm/whatever just to chat? Do these people not have cell phones? How many times per episode does someone just "drop in" to advance the plot at someone's front door?

The only person I've ever met who does this is Jon McCurley. [laughs]

Duke of Spook said...

EXACTLY! And when they show up they're like, "could I talk to you for a second?" SAME OLD. But yeah it's still good. Still real good.

killahmcgillah said...

Also, do these kids EVER attend classes? 'Cuz, like, you'd think that some of their teachers (other than Coach & Tammy & creepy young poetry professor/plot development) would play a bigger role on the show, no?

Sigh, I think I should stop leaving blog comments at 4:30 in the morning. It never works out for the better.

Blog Directory by Blog Flux